Thursday, November 26, 2009

Health care

Health care is a hot topic in the U.S. right now.  I thought I'd share a bit of what I'm learning about health care in Ethiopia.

We had a few people ask during our adoption process if Hudson Muse could get the heart surgery he needed in Ethiopia.  The answer, unfortunately, was no.  There is no heart surgery performed in Ethiopia (that any of the knowledgeable doctors I've spoken with here know of).  There are a total of 4 pediatric surgeons in the entire country- a country of 80 million people.  There is 1 doctor for every 40,000 people in Ethiopia.
 
I share this with you not to make you feel guilty or to make you feel sorry for people here.  I've heard people say, "Well that is Africa, this is the U.S., you can't compare the two."   Sure, there are a lot of differences in our political system, history, and resources.  But why shouldn't we compare them?  Do people here deserve less just because of where they were born?  Shouldn't their lives be valued in the same way?  As I learn more and my eyes are opened, I hope and pray that I can have a small role in bringing justice and improving the quality of life for those in need.  I don't have answers and I know these issues are complex, but I wanted to share a bit of what's been on my heart and mind.
 
I'll return to posts about my adorable Ethiopian baby tomorrow...

No comments: