Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What I've been reading

I love to read. I don't make as much time for it as I would like, but I love reading. I was the kid who was reading at a high school level in 5th grade, who continued to read long after my parents told me it was time for bed.

This fall, I read "Say You're One of Them" by Uwem Akpan. I'm not necessarily a big Oprah fan, but I generally like her book club picks. This book is a series of short stories, set in several African countries, and tells the story of different social issues through the eyes of children. Prostitution, genocide, child slavery, political and religious conflicts are all explored. Sounds like heavy reading, and it is, but you will get a valuable perspective and may see these issues differently after seeing them from a child's perspective.


I just finished "Same Kind of Different as Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. This is a true story based on an unlikely friendship between a wealthy white art dealer and a homeless black man. It is an uplifting and encouraging story, as you witness this friendship develop and see how these men have impacted each other's life and other's around them. Issues of homelessness, poverty, and race are addressed.

I'm trying to decide what to read next. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Rachel Sarah said...

I'm glad you're continuing to blog. We are in the process of adopting thru YWAM and it is really encouraging to read blogs of adoptive families who are "living it." www.nystrandfamily.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Of course you should blog! I have found over the course of blogging that there are far more readers than commenters:) I just read "Say you're one of them" too! So hard, but so well done. I know a book you should read, but will have to check on the title...

Unknown said...

Thank you for mentioning "Same Kind of Different as Me" on your blog! I work with Thomas Nelson, and we would love to follow your blog and hear what readers think of this moving book. I also want to let you know that Ron and Denver have just released a new book "What Difference Do It Make?" which updates readers on their activity since the first book came out. Please contact me with your mailing address if you are interested in receiving a complimentary copy of the new book for review on your site at your convenience.

Thanks!

Jodi Hughes
pubintern@thomasnelson.com

SarahinCa said...

Cutting for Stone. Amazing.