Friday, February 19, 2010

What I'll be watching on March 4



Next Thursday night, March 4, I will be going to see this one-time showing of "Half the Sky Live." If you are in the area and want to join me, let me know. You can find a list of participating theaters here.

Here is a little more about the event from their website:

Half the Sky is inspired by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists Nicholas Kristof’s and Sheryl WuDunn’s New York Times bestseller, “Half The Sky,” which follows the stories of extraordinary women around the world as they struggle to overcome oppression. Kristof and WuDunn focus on three major problems facing women – sex trafficking, maternal mortality and violence against women. They argue that empowering women is the key to alleviating poverty and uplifting communities in developing countries.

Also showing at this event will be “Woineshet” a new film about a poor Ethiopian girl who ultimately triumphs over sexual violence and discrimination. As a teenager from a small village in Ethiopia, Woineshet and her family bravely fought against brutal local traditions of rape and forced marriage. The co-directorial debut of Marisa Tomei and Lisa Leone, “Woineshet” is an adaptation of this brave and inspirational true story.


As a wife, as a daughter, as a mother, as a Christian, I think it is so important to be educated about the struggles of others around the world and to ask myself what role I may play in helping bring hope and justice. I hope you can attend this event. If not, I highly recommend Kristof and Wudonn's book "Half the Sky" that this film event is based upon.

1 comment:

Becky - Mission 1:27 Ethiopia said...

Thanks for always bringing to our attention some of the important and GOOD things in the media to look out for! I plan to read this book and I'll forward to seeing the documentary too!
Becky