Friday, February 12, 2010

Ethiopian orphans...on my heart

My heart is full, with having Hudson home and part of our family, after an adoption process that was tough at times (our agency was wonderful and supportive, but we experienced some delays and disappointments that were out of their countrol). But every time I go to Africa and visit orphanages, my heart is broken again.

Adoptions from Ethiopia are increasing. In 2002, 105 children from Ethiopia were adopted to the U.S. In 2009, 2,227 children from Ethiopia were adopted to the U.S. Out of the 143 million orphans in the world, 50% of those are in 8 countries alone (Ethiopia being one of them). I've had people ask me if there is still a need to adopt from Ethiopia, with the increase of the number of families adopting from Ethiopia (which also means that wait times for adoptions has increased). My answer is YES! Even if the number of adoptions from Ethiopia stays steady or increases, there is still a huge need.

In an ideal world, children would be able to stay with the families they were born into, assuming that the family is able to provide a safe and nurturing environment. But unfortunately, because of poverty, high maternal mortality rates, HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other social issues, there are many orphans in Ethiopia. So many orphans, that extended families and communities can no longer care for them, making international adoption the next best option for these children.

Please watch this video, made by Children's HopeChest. Look at these faces and allow your heart to be broken for these children too. But I hope you don't stop there. Ask God how He would have you respond. I am a big advocate of adoption, but there are many other ways that you can be involved in caring for orphans.



Ethiopian Orphans from Simon Scionka on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Jodi Queenan Artist copyright 2011 said...

Thanks Cindy... I also posted this video on my blog... awesome...