Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My burden

I'm going to step out and share with you about what has been on my heart lately. I've tried to keep this blog light and happy- pictures of our house, updates on my sweet Belachew. But my heart is heavy and I've struggled with the right words to try to express what has been going on. It's kept me up many nights, thinking and praying. It's brought me to tears many times. So here it goes.

143 million orphans in the world

This number evokes many emotions for me. I am saddened by this number, knowing there is a face, name, and story behind each one. I am angered by the injustice and suffering of our world. I am frustrated at why more is not being done- by the church, by the government, by individuals (myself included). I am moved to thought and action, reading as much as I can and learning about how to care for orphans and prevent children from being orphaned in the first place. Many times, I am simply overwhelmed. I know that I am not alone in these feelings.

I am constantly reminded of the orphans I have had the privilege of spending time with in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Children in the U.S. as well, who come from broken homes or who have been bounced from foster home to foster home. These children who I have held, played games with, listened to their stories, cried and prayed with. Children who have lined up, holding their arms up and waiting for their turn to be held or hugged by someone. Children whose pictures are in my home and whose stories are forever in my heart. Faces and experiences that keep me up at night, in prayer and in tears. Some children who I know by name, other children whose names I never knew, but who have made an impact in my life. I grew up in a Christian home, but it was through my time with these children that I really found my faith. I learned (a little) about Jesus' heart and what it means to follow him. Sure, following Jesus requires faith and sacrifice, but love is the greatest command He has given us.

Since I have become a mother, my mind and heart has been consumed with orphans more than ever. I've wrestled with what my response should be, personally and as a family. I've talked to some friends, my church leaders, and followed other adoptive family's blogs who are wrestling with some of the same feelings. And my next step begins tomorrow, with a trip to attend the Christian Alliance for Orphans Summit. There, I hope to learn from some people with much more experience and knowledge than myself, to get some ideas for launching an adoption network and orphan care ministry at my church, and to be renewed in my desire to advocate for orphans. I'm also looking forward to meeting some other adoptive families, who share my burden and passion and whose stories encourage and inspire me. I'll plan to share some highlights of the conference, once I get settled back at home. I'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers for my time at the conference.

(While there are 143 million orphans in the world, I do want to clarify that this does not mean that there are 143 million healthy babies lined up in orphanages, waiting to be adopted. This statistic includes many older children, children with medical special needs, and children who have lost a parent but may still have living birthfamily.)

3 comments:

Jen said...

Your heart and passion for orphans is really beautiful Cindy. I hope this conference is an incredible experience and a catalyst for great things here in Indy. Cant wait to hear about it!

AnnMarie & Nick said...

Can't wait to hear more about the conference. Keep me updated!

Unknown said...

So so glad to have met you at the conference. Look forward to our paths crossing again...hopefully before next year! :)