Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Kenyon's Birthday

Three years ago today, Kenyon was born into this world. This is a day to celebrate his life, and in my mind, it is also a day to celebrate the people that gave him life.

In August 2005, Paul and I had been married for seven months. Little did we know that a baby boy was being born in Ethiopia who would become our son.

I often think about Kenyon's birthfamily. It is obvious that Kenyon was well loved early on in his life. I imagine his birthmother rubbing her belly, ready to see what that little baby would look like. I imagine his birthmother and birthfather discussing what they will name the child. Whose idea was it to name him Belachew? Did they agree on the name, or did one person eventually give in? Belachew means "he has something to say." His other name given by his birthfamily which we will also be keeping as his middle name is Mekuria. It means "the one that I am proud of."

I think of Kenyon's birthparents the most when he is sleeping at night. As I look at his sweet little body, curled up and peaceful, I wonder who else may be watching him from heaven or thinking about him. Because of my faith, and because of what I have heard about his birthfamily's faith, I believe that I will one day meet his birthparents in heaven. I imagine us sitting around, drinking a cup of coffee (Ethiopian, of course) and talking about Kenyon. I imagine us laughing and sharing stories about him. We want to raise Kenyon in a way that is honoring to God, and we also want to raise him in a way that honors his birthfamily. Through their tragedy and loss, we were given the great blessing of being Kenyon's new parents and raising him. His birthmother and birthfather will never get to see him ride a bike, or learn to read, or go on his first date, or graduate from school. They will not get to see him get married, or raise his own children. His birthparents gave him life, and we get the privilege of watching him live that life. I hope that wherever Kenyon's birthparents are, they have peace and know that their son is loved more than words can explain. We will make mistakes in parenting him, but in the end, I pray that we raise him in a way that is honoring to his birthfamily and country. I pray that Kenyon will be proud of the family he was born into, and will also be proud of the family he is now a part of. Even in the moments when parenting is hard, I want to remember what a great blessing we have received and by thankful for his life.

4 comments:

indyhumes said...

Happy Birthday Kenyon!

AnnMarie & Nick said...

Great post, very well written! Happy Birthday Kenyon, we can't wait to meet you!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Kenyon Belachew!

We missed you all at the family reunion. Hope to see you soon.

Renae in St. Louis said...

Beautiful words.

I see you've referred to him by Kenyon, then in a later post, by Belachew... do you know yet what you plan use over the long term? Does he have a preference? :)

Say hi to Paul for us. I hope you get that nap in... I tell the kids all the time, "I *love* naps! I can't imagine not wanting to take a nap!!"