Tuesday, November 25, 2008

National Adoption Month

November is National Adoption Month. I am an advocate for adoption and believe that all children deserve a permanent, loving home. Adoption is a big part of our lives. Paul and I both have experienced the blessings of adoption through having cousins who joined our family through adoption, both domestically and internationally. I've worked in the field of adoption social work for 6 years. Paul and I have served children who come from broken homes or who have been orphaned. And as a reader of this blog, you know that almost 6 months ago, Paul and I become parents through the adoption of Kenyon Belachew.

Since adoption is something that I am passionate about, I often have a hard time understanding why more people do not adopt. I've talked with families who want to adopt, but are concerned about finances or don't think the timing is right. I've talked with others who are strongly pro-life and care about children, but don't feel "called" to adopt. I think the decision to adopt is very personal and I do not want to judge others' hearts, but I do wish that more people would take the time to really consider it.

For those of us who are Christians, we are ALL called to care for the orphan, to defend the cause of the fatherless. I would like to challenge you and ask, what does that look like for you? For those of you who do not feel called to adopt, there are so many other ways that you can care for orphans. Become a foster family and provide love and stability for a few days, weeks, or months for a child who needs it. Sponsor a child through a program like HopeChest, Compassion, or Mission to the World's StreetChild ministry. Become a mentor through Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Tutor at-risk children at a local school. Go on a missions trip. Encourage a family who is in the process of adoption by praying for them or sending them a card. Financially support organizations that care for orphans. Find your passion and talk about it with others. And pray. Commit to praying for children in your city and around the world who are in need of permanent, loving families. Pray for their protection and safety, for them to know and feel God's love, and for God to provide a family for them.

Once our eyes are opened we cannot pretend we do not know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows we know and holds us responsible to act.
Proverbs 24:12

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

3 comments:

SarahinCa said...

Preach it, Sister! ;)

No, seriously...I've been meaning to volunteer with our local Court Appointed Social Advocate program for a while and this might just be the kick in the pants that I need to get signed up!

Coffeybunny said...

Cindy,
It's so funny, I wrote a very similar post on my blog too! It is also hard for me to understand people NOT passionate about adoption, it just seems so easy!
We can't wait to meet you guys and to kiss Belachew's sweet face. Forgive me if I'm a blubbering fool when you get here! :)
Cynthia

warriorwomanqueen said...

Hey Cindy! What a great post! You know I had looked into adopting a little guy from the Phillipines but that did not work out. I recently read about a Compassion trip on another blog I frequent. The stories and the children really tugged at my heart and I felt I should try to do something but...

Needless to say...after reading your post and when I saw the verse "Once our eyes are opened we cannot pretend we do not know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows we know and holds us responsible to act.
Proverbs 24:12"
I went to the Compassion website and am now sponsoring two children! I'm so excited!! Thanks again - you're post gave me the extra push I needed.
Kelly