Friday, July 4, 2008

The Faces of Ethiopia





The people we met in Ethiopia were amazing. My thoughts drift to them and to these faces regularly. I look at these faces and think of how similar, yet how different our lives are. These people have the same hopes and dreams for their futures that many of us have, yet they have also seen tragedy that few of us can imagine. Many of these faces wake up daily and wonder what they will eat, while I have a full refrigerator and pantry and struggle with making sure I don't eat too much. Many of these faces have seen more death and suffering in their little lives than we can imagine. Yet I look at these faces and I see hope, contentment, and joy.

I started this blog to update our family and friends on our adoption process, but I also want to share about Ethiopia, both the beauty of this country and culture, and also the reality of the needs there and ways to get involved. While we were in Ethiopia, we had the amazing opportunity to meet someone from Kenyon Belachew's birthfamily. We have decided not to share details about his person or about Kenyon's life prior to coming to the care center, as we believe that this is Kenyon's story to share, not ours. We asked this person what their hopes and dreams were for Kenyon and they responded that they hoped that Belachew would grow up and be proud of where he was from and that he would make a difference in his home country.

Parenting can be a challenge and frustration at times, but when I look in Kenyon's face, I am reminded of Ethiopia. I am reminded that Kenyon's life is a miracle and how blessed we are to have been entrusted with this precious life. I am reminded of this special person we met and their dream for Kenyon's life. When I look at pictures of our trip, I am reminded of the joy and suffering of those faces we left behind in Ethiopia. We are forever connected to Ethiopia, through Kenyon Belachew, and we see this connection as a blessing and responsibility.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Beautifully said Cindy. And beautiful pictures too....